Where can we send your free files to?
AMERICAN FLAGS QUILT – WEEK 3 – SASHING & BORDERS
Cut 16 x 3½” width of fabric
Then, Cut 10 x 3½” x 11″
Making your sashing and borders
1. Join strips together on the diagonal:
Place a 3½” strip with the right side facing you horizontally, then place another 3½” strip with the wrong side facing you vertically. Make sure there is lots of clearance from selvedge’s. Draw a 45 degree angle line from the top left corner to the bottom right. Pin. Sew along your marked line with a standard foot. Trim the excess fabric to ¼” seam and the little triangles. As pictured below. Press open.
2. Decide on the layout you would like to sew your flags together. With three across and five down. Pin number cards to remember the order.
3. Sew the 3½” x 11″ cut pieces to your flags. Set and press seams towards the white. As pictured below. You will have five “sets of three flags”.
4. Square off each block of three flags if necessary
5. Layout one of your “set of three flags” and lay your strips smoothly on top. Cutting past the edge on both sides. With your rotary cutter, ruler, and self-healing mat cut your strips so they are lined up to the edge of your “sets of three flags”. Repeat so you have six strips.
6. Layout your first “set of three flags” so it is nice and smooth, and find the middle by folding in half and making a finger press. Take your top border strip, fold in half, and finger press the fold. Place your finger-pressed marker in line with the center of your quilt top, lining up the edges of the fabric, pin. Smooth out your strip and pin at both ends. Pin along the edge. Sew. Repeat so all five sets of three flags are sewn together, as well as your top and bottom border.
7. Repeat steps for the 5 & 6 for the side borders.
THESE COURSE NOTES ARE FOR THE EMAIL RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR SHARE THEM. IF YOU HAVE A FRIEND THAT WOULD LIKE A COPY PLEASE ASK THEM TO JOIN QUILT CLUB BY SIGNING UP TO THE NEWSLETTER.